Click here for the PREVIOUS Year of The Illustrated
here to go to The Year Grid
Events of this year in the Illustrated London News
The Illustrated London News 1935
- March 29th - Stalin and Anthony Eden (Lord Privy Seal) met in Moscow to
discuss German rearmament
- April 11th - The agricutural heart of the USA is paralysed by dust storms
- May - TE Lawrence 'Lawrence of Arabia' died in a motorbike accident in
Dorset, he was 46
- May 6th - The Silver Jubilee of George V (69) and Queen Mary is celebrated
- A Peace Ballot in the UK showed 11 million in favour of the League of Nations
and a reduction in armaments
- June - General Election in UK Stanley Baldwin (conservative) took over
from Ramsay MacDonald and Clement Attlee became leader of the Labour Party
- Winston Churchill spoke out in favour of rearmament in the face of a Nazi
- September 3rd - Sir Malcolm Campbell set world land speed record of 301
mph in Bluebirda 12 cylinder Rolls Royce engine, 5 tons of weight,
on the beach at Bonneville Salt flats, Utah
- October 2nd - Abyssinia invaded by Italy with ground and air forces
- October 20th - End of Communist army's 'Long March'under Mao Tse-tung
- November - The Post Office introduces the first Greetings Telegram
- Nazis repudiate the Versailles Treaty, compusory military service was begun,
Nuremberg laws against the Jews instituted
- Robert Watson-Watt develops radar
- (c) (copyright) 1995 - 2009 All of the text and images on this page are copyrighted
- some of the text and images are copyrighted by a third party and appear here
by their kind permission. Please do not reproduce any text or images without
- The Exhibition of British Art in Industry at Burlington House, including
a “mirror-image” library designed by famous architect Sir Edwin
- Photo with caption announcing engagement of Don Jaime, Infante of Spain,
son of King Alfonso (Alphonso) XIII, to Mlle. Emanuella de Dampierre
- British troops in the Saar
- HRH The Duke of Gloucester in Australia
- Inside cover depicts Mr. David Lloyd George out walking near his Surrey
- Photos inside include: the Emperor of Ethiopia opens the new Parliament
at Addis Ababa;
- Mascagni’s new opera, “Nerone”;
- H.R.H. Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, in New Zealand;
- the Duke and Duchess of York, Princess Elizabeth (now Queen Elizabeth II)
and Princess Margaret at the Circus;
- the Rugby teams for the drawn match between England and Wales;
- a self portrait by Frans Hals;
- “A Jockey” by Edgar Degas
- Back cover is a great color ad for Black and White Scotch Whiskey, showing
The Grenadier Guards (an anniversary morning), from a painting by Christopher
- Inside cover: The Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII, still later the Duke
of Windsor) as the founder of King George’s Jubilee Trust
- The Grand Opera Season of 1935 – Stars Who Will Be Seen at Covent
- The New Archbishop of Westminster, Monsignor Arthur Hinsley
- Philip Wilson Steer Painting Exhibit
- New Airplanes for the British Royal Air Force (R.A.F.)
- The Emperor of Manchukuo Visits Japan
- Hitler on His Birthday – he received 41 airplanes
- The League of Nations discusses the resolution condemning Hitler’s
Germany for returning to conscription
- Sale of the Solomon Barnato Joel Collection: paintings by Hoppner, Gainsborough,
Romney, and George Morland
the second cover page showing The Italo-Abyssinian dispute:Military activity
in Addis Ababa - uniformed but barefooted soldiers, seated on boxes of ammunition..
Some of the many highlights in pictures and words are:
1. A record consignment of munitions to Abyssinia; and its transport to the
base by porterage.
2. Cave art of some 30,000 years ago: A wonderful discovery in Spain. Human
beings and fishes in 30,000 year old drawings: A unique find.
3. "Fifty years of Portraits": Academicians and Fauves at the Leicester
4. 6 pages of Dragons. Komodo Island.
5. How the Atlantic was crossed single-handed in a small boat. "Winibelle
II". 2 water colour pictures and article.
6. coloured picture of "Diana and Actaeon".
7. Royal occasions in London and Edinburgh. Celebrating the Royal Jubilee.
8. The Home Fleet comes to the Thames for the third time in 26 years: A Jubilee
9. The world of science: snake, eels and sea snakes.
10. The Burmese Scene: A colourful land and its people. 3 water colours by
11. The Tower of London Pageant for the betterment of Tower Hill.
12. 19th Century masterpieces: A great exhibition of French art in London.
13. Paris stages an air raid: The dramatic side of gas drill.
Full page ads for Douglas Stuart, Cine-Kodac and Ford V-8 Saloon De Luxe
ROYAL NAVY & MILITARY REVIEW NUMBER
- 1. "Keep Then The Sea, Which is the Wall of England".
- 2. The King's Silver Jubilee Review of the Troops of the Aldershot Command:
In Rushmoor Arena.
- 3. The "Berengaria" formerly "Imperator" homeward bound
from New York.
- 4. The King at Portsmouth for the Navel Review: The Welcome and Boarding
the Royal Yacht.
- 5. Double page of photos showing the ships in which our Sailor King has
- 6. The King's Silver Jubilee Review of the Fleet at Spithead: The Royal
Yacht "Victoria and Albert" with his Majesty and His sons on boards,
seen from the "Hood" as she entered the lines - "Iron Duke,"
"Resolution," "Revenge," "Ramillies," "Royal
Sovereign," "Queen Elizabeth."
- 7. Queen Bees
- 8. The King honouring the Navy, Merchant Service, and Fishing Fleets.
- 9. The Royal Salute at Spithead.
- 10. Coloured picture of the model of Drake's "Golden Hind".
- 11. Coloured pictures of "Royal Oak," "Rodney," "Nelson,"
- 12. The pageant of British sea power: Warships at the Great Review - 10
pages full of pictures.
- 13. All that goes to produce a great British warship's "Battle-Thunder":
Cold science behind the big guns.
- 14. The Fleet air arm: Cruisers as midified by aircraft equipment.
- 15. "Ships with a Story" in the naval review: Five makers of History.
- 16. Fighting ships of the British Navy: The Battleship and the Battle-Cruiser
- Details of their Interiors (double page cross-sections).
- 17. Fighting ships of the British Navy: The Aircraft-Carrier and the Light
Cruiser - Details of Interiors (double page cross-sections).
- 18. Fighting ships of the British Navy: The Destroyer and the Submarine
- Details of Their Interiors (double page cross-sections).
- 19. Coloured pictures of "The Control Platform, Orion".
- 20. Full page coloured photo of The Mechanized Army.
- 21. Full page pictures of 16 airplanes of The Royal Air Force.
- 22. Pageant of Light: Three Phases of the Fleet Illuminations.
- 23. A pictorial forecast of the 1,250,000 pound plan to make Earl's Court
the world's largest centre for exhibitions. (double page layout). Much more.
Full page ads for Black & White, Britannia and Eve, Ford, Whitbread's Pale
Ale, Seager's Gin, Vauxhall Loght Six Coupe (245 pounds!), Esso, Austin. Many
- Germany - Tank Corps revealed
- full page advert = Dewars (colour), Rolls Royce - Hooper, Cine Kodak, Guinness
- the second cover page of The Rt. Hon. Stanley Baldwin, the Prime Minister.
- 1. The World of Science: Claws and Spurs.
- 2. 3 pages: American object lessons for our 100 million pound plan of road
work: New York's solution of highway problems.
- 3. "Toomaj of the Elephants": A Mahout's son and a Maharaja's
elephant strring in a Kipling film.
4. Tappind a new archaeological source in North Syria.
5. In the Wellsian world of 2054 A.D. "Things to Come": the "Space
6. double page. The General Election: Facts amd figures of the new house, compared
with Parliaments of the past.
7. double page. The election: Members of the new parliament whose records and
personalities claim special attention.
8. The anti-British riots in Cairo.
9. The fall of Makale: Ras Gugas, the deserter, hoists Italy's flag.
10. Pages 945-948 missing.
11. The R.S.P.P. Exhibition: Notable examples of comtemporary British portraiture.
12. Of Interest to Women: ski fashions.
13. Where to go for winter sports. .
Full page ads for Black & White, Christie Manson & Woods, Harrods and
"Reality Tours. Many smaller ads
Number 2696 - Volume 103
- St. Paul's Crib - A Tableau of the Nativity
- People in the public eye: Anthony Eden, Sir Robert McDougall, Colonel Valeri
- Members of the Czech Financial Mission
- Italian Chamber replaced by "Fascios"
- Buddhist Art
- Konyak Nagas People
- Mr. Chamberlain speaking...
- "Mountaineers" Aeroplanes of Cloudland "Roped Together"
- Jupiter's Great Red Spot
Britannia & Eve
Howard & Sons, Ltd
Art of the Postage Stamp
Waifs & Strays Society
Mills Circus Olympia
Click here for the NEXT year of The Illustrated London News
Click here for the PREVIOUS year of The Illustrated London News
Click here to go to The Year Grid