Click here for the PREVIOUS Year of The Illustrated
here to go to The Year Grid
Events of this year in the Illustrated London News
The Illustrated London News 1937
- January 30th - Neutrality of Belgium and Netherlands guaranteed by Hitler
- April 1st - London County Council formation of a 'Green Belt' around London
- April 27th - Bombing of Spanish town of Guernica,
12 miles from Bilbao by 40 planes of the German Air Force. Over 1,000 people
were killed and 1 year later Piccasso immortalised the tragedy
- May 6th - The Giant German airship, Hindenburg, exploded over Lakenhurst,
New jersey USA. 30 people died
- (c) (copyright) 1995 - 2009 All of the text and images on this page are copyrighted
- some of the text and images are copyrighted by a third party and appear here
by their kind permission. Please do not reproduce any text or images without
- May 12th - Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (The
Queen Mother). The ceremony was broadcast to the 8 million people in the UK
who had wireless sets. There was TV coverage outside the Abbey and the audience
was measured as a few Thousand.
- May 28th - Neville Chamberlain became Prime Minister after
- June - the Hollywood star the Blonde Bombshell Jean Harlow
died aged 26
- June - The German pocket Battleship bombarded the little town of Almeria
in Spain claiming self defence
- June 3rd - The Duke of Windsor married Mrs Wallis Simpson
(a divorced woman) in France
- July 11th - Death of US popular composer George Gershwin,
- August 14th - The Japanese bombed Shanghai in a new offensive
- August 28th - The great heatwave of New York, The Dunes of Kurische Nehrung
, Lemurs, Spanish Civil War Reinosa occupied, Madrid's slow agony, Sino-Japan
fighting in Tientsin, Shanghai, Tower parachuting has it's origins in Russia,
Berlin 700th birthday, Popocatepetl Volcano, fullpage adverts= Whitbread Pale
Ale- Golf Lesson, South Africa - Giraffes, Worthington- This England - Bournemouth
from Branksomes, Black & White Whisky, Craven A cigarettes (colour)
- October 22nd - Duke and Duchess of Windsor met Hitler
- December 13th - War - Nanking occupied by the Japanese
forces amid much bloodshed, 20.000 civilian casualties
- Lord Halifax visits Hitler: attempt at appeasement
- Amelia Earhart is lost while flying across the Pacific
- The Golden Gate Bridge opened in San Francisco
- Xmas in Spain on the Civil war front
- First Giant Panda (Sun-Lin) caught alive by Mrs Harkness Jnr.
- full page adverts = Subscription to the ILN, Monte Carlo, Worthington "This
England" - Durlston Head - Dorset
- full page adverts = Bovril, Worthington "This England" - Exmoor
landscape, Johnnie Walker whisky
- Malaga under attack by Franco
- full page adverts = Black & White whisky - The Lifeguards (colour),
Rolls Royce -Hooper, Duckhams Adcoids, Worthington "This England"
- The Canal nr. Watford
- The famous Dynamiteros
- Asturian miners aat Oviedo
- full page adverts = Douglas Stuart, Terraplane & Hudson Cars, Ford V8
'30', Hillman Hawk, Worthington "This England" - Chipping Camden
Gloucester, Harrods - shirts to measure
- Col plate of Queen Mother (Queen Mary)
- full page adverts = Terraplane cars, Austin Eighteen, Humber drophead coupe,
Worthington "This England" - A Windmill at Chailey Sussex, Johnnie
Walker whisky, Guinness A song of Guiinness, Lockheed Brakes (colour), Ford
V8 (colour), Dunlop Safety (colour), Lanson Champagne
- Full page adverts = Douglas stuart the Bookmaker, Rolls Royce - Hooper,
Wakefield Castrol Oil, VAT 69 Whisky, Worthington "This England"
- Lion Rock Dovedale, Harrods luggage
- Madrid - The Spanish Civil war
- The Grand National at Aintree
- Crosses of Lithuania
- The 89th Oxford and Cambridge boat race
- The Fenland East Anglia Floods
- Full page advert = Worthington "This England" Winkworth Surrey
- The new National Nautical Museum Greenwich - the opening
- Royal occasions 37 Pictures
- Bilbao - The Spanish Civil war
- The Coronation rehearsal at Windsor castle
- The centenary of John Constable
- Full page adverts = Alice through the Guinness Glass, Worthington "This
England" Old Harry Nr Swanage, Elizabeth Arden, Czechoslovakia, Douglas
No. 2613, Vol. 100 ,
- Coronation Naval Review; and the Royal Guildhall Visit. This issue is commemorating
the Coronation of George VI and Queen Elizabeth and has many pages of great
black & white photos and illustrations of the English Naval fleet including
the "Hood", "Revenge", "Nelson", "Rodney",
plus many more.
- There are also many foreign ships including the Battleship "New York"
from the U.S. plus foreign ships from Soviet Union, Greece, Denmark, Japan,
Sweden and many more.
- There is a 4-page pull-out of the Panorama of the Coronation Revue plus
on the back 4-page pull-out is a disection illustration drawn by G. H. Davis
of the recently commissioned Cruiser "Southhampton".
- There is also a 2-page article with photographs of the German airship "Hindenburg"
exploding on May 6, 1937 at Lakehurst, New Jersey. This edition also has many
photos and articles about the Royal Family and the Coronation.
- Japanese forces in North China
- Spanish Civil War. America, Cuba, The Philippines
- Nabataean sculpture
- Cameroons West Africa
- Shanghai in Peril
- sand yachting in Egypt
- Full page adverts = Clubberwocky Guinness, Sporting and Dramatic News, Johnnie
Walker "Cricket", Worthington "This England" Boddian Castle
- Bombing of Shanghai by Japan
- Basking Sharks
- Guarding Spanish art during civil war
- Demolition of the Bruton Street corner
- A White cobra
- Suns halo seen for the first time
- Athens 2,000 years before Pericles
- Refugees escaping Shanghai
- Photographs of ribbon lightening
- Tientsin after occupation by Japanese troops
- The valley of 1,000 hills in Natal
- Nature photographs
- A diagramatic of Sir Malcolm Campbell's Bluebird
- Feminine coiffure in Angola
- Full page adverts = Guinness - In Marble Halls, Worthington
- "This England" Salcombe Devon, VAT 69 whisky - Morse Code
- Bilbao & Madrid by AR Meruvia
- Exploring the largest Khmer temple known
- War conditions in Shanghai
- Komodo Island
- Using spider's webs in astronomy
- Havoc in Hong Kong from a Typhoon
- The Aldridge detector
- Racing Cheetahs at Harringdon dog track
- Nazi Rally at Nuremberg (Nuremburg)
- London Salon of Photography
- Spanish Civil War stamps
- Full page Advert = South Africa, Giraffes
- Full page Advert = This England (Worthington) Bury Hill, Sussex
- Full page Advert = Johnnie Walker Whisky
- Full page Advert = Rolls Royce Cars / Hooper
- Full page Advert = National Fur Company
- Shivas Temple - Grand Canyon
- Japanese troops in Shanghai
- Submarine development in the Mediterranean
- Germans ready to welcome Mussolini
- Cyclist Musicians in The Netherlands
- Siberian Art of the Scythian period
- The film "Victoria the Great" with Anna Neagle
was awarded the Cup of Nations
- Berlin testing for Air Raids
- Richard II with John Gielgud and Michael Redgrave
- Nanking threatened with Air Raids
- Miniature landscapes by John McWhirter
- Full page Advert = Craven A cigarettes (Colour)
- Making of Iron Lungs for the treatment of Polio
- Hands by Frans Hals 16 pictures and the sitters
- Full page Advert = Harrods - In the Regency manner
- Full page Advert = This England (Worthington) Poole Harbour
from Ballad Down, Dorset
- Full page Advert = Spink and Son
- Full page Advert = Black and White whisky
- An ivory head 30,000 years old found in Vestonice
- Miss Farida Zulficar to marry King Faruk of Egypt
- Hitler and Mussolini in the 1914 - 18 war
- Maya ruins
- Windmills of Surrey, Sussex and Kent
- Map of China and Japan
- The German Autobahn
- Mussolini's visit to Hitler
- Nanking and Canton
- full page adverts = Worthington "This England" -Nr Redmarley Gloucestershire,
Schweppes - Pepys' diary, Italy for a holiday
- the second cover page: In The Danger Zone of the International Settlement
at Shanghai, where British soldiers have been killed by Shell Fire during
the Sino-Japanese hostilities: A Typical British outpost near the North Station.
- 1. The Victoria Vogue: A Special Birmingham Art Exhibition in this Centenary
year of Queen Victoria's Accession.
- 2. Haldane - 1856-1915. By Sir Frederick Maurice.
- 3. The Royal Holloway College's Jubilee: Higher Education for Women. 4 pages
4. Full page photo. A fleet as seen by bombers above the clouds: A remarkable
photograph taken during U.S. Naval manoeuvres in the Pacific, showing the diminutive
targets presented by the fighting ships.
5. The Question of the Mechanisation of the Royal Scots Greys: Incidents in
their history, and uniforms worn. 2 pages of photos.
6. Revelations of Early Mesopotamian Culture. Sumerian art. Tell Agrab. Full
page photo of a Sumerian Ass-Drawn Chariot.
7. World of Science. The giant panda.
8. Full page picture. Japan "blasts her way Forward: A Bomb bursting near
Shanghai. Plus 2 more pages of Shangai.
9. The Lewins Provisioned by Parchute and rescued by Dinkas.
10. Coloured pictures. Painted pottery from Tell Agrab.
11. Double page coloured pictures. South Africa - A Bird-Lover's Paradise.
12. News by Photography: Matters Military, Medical and "Monstrous".
13. The Focke Helicopter with "Twin" Rotors.
14. The Maharaja of Bikaner's Jubilee.
15. The Italian Scene: Past and Present: Roman Occasions; and British reaction
to "Orders from the House-Tops".
16. Ships - Their origin and development. Ancient ships and early shipbuilders.
17. Full page pictures. Ancient Ships: How Mankind Learnt to Build and Sail
Full page ads of Schweppes, Daimler, MG, This England, Harrods, Guinness and
Click here for the NEXT year of The Illustrated London News
Click here for the PREVIOUS year of The Illustrated London News
Click here to go to The Year Grid