Click here for the PREVIOUS Year of The Illustrated
here to go to The Year Grid
The Illustrated London News 1969 Events of this year in the Illustrated London News
- February 3rd - Palestine National Congress appointed Yasser
Arafat to head the PLO
- February - The Boeing 747 takes off as the airplane of
future mass air travel long haul flights
- March - The first test flight of Concorde in France
- March - John Lennon and Yoko Ono went to bed in public
for a week to bring attention to world peace. 'Make love not War'
- March 17th - Golda Meir became Israel's first
- June 8th - General Franco closed the land border between
Spain and Gibraltar
- July 1st - Formal Investiture of the Prince of Wales at Carnarvon
- July 21st - Apollo 11 Commander Neil Armstrong became
the first man on the moon
- September 1st - King Idris of Libya was deposed by rebels
led by Mu'ammar Gaddafi
- October - Monty Python's Flying Circus is first broadcast
on BBC 2
- British troops are deployed on the streets of Northern Ireland
and Bernadette Devlin takes her seat as a Westminster MP,
she was 21
- De Gaulle resigns, Georges Pompidou elected President of
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn expelled from Soviet writers Union
THE QUEEN IN NORWAY
CAN THE TORIES RETURN TO POWER?
SIR ROY WELENSKY
SHIPBUILDERS OF THE CLYDE
THE QUEEN'S TOUR OF AUSTRIA
DUBLIN LOOKS AT THE RIOTS
THE NIXON PROGRESS
CAN THE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH GIVE THE WORLD A LIFT?
INSIDE TV - The Limelit Ladies (Joan Bakewell, Jacky Gillott, Monica Sims,
THE HARRIER PLANE
THE RAILWAY'S FUTURE
BILL HARTLEY'S MOTOR SHOW GUIDE
THE NEXT VIETNAM
AT HOME WITH STEREO
MOST EXCLUSIVE APARTMENTS
NOT ALL IRISH EYES ARE SMILING
OUR FUTURE WITH NATO
WHAT DOES A STUDENT COST?
YOU CAN BE PART OF ART
HOW SAFE IS FRANCO?
IN THE ANTIQUE SHOPS
IMMIGRANTS: THE FACTS
THE ROYAL INVESTITURE
THE OPEN UNIVERSITY
CARNIVAL ON MALTA
THE MOON-AND THEN?
CAN WE CURE MINDS?
IN CASTRO'S CUBA
WHICH EUROPE FOR US?
- This issue features a Best in Show Maremma Golden Retriever dog on the cover
the breed which contributed the second largest number of entries, 226.
- Inside: photos from the Cruft's
- the Queen visits the show
- ,Mr Wilson goes to Bonn
- What can Mr Nixon do in Europe
- The Queen and the Astronaut
- Not all irish eyes are smiling - poll in Ulster
- To defend Britain
- War on fog
March 8th (very rare)
- On the cover is President Richard Nixon in 3-D, the first occasion that a British magazine has used Xograph 3-D, a highly developed American printing process.
- First pictures of the Concord taking flight and landing on March 2, 1969 .
- Underwater laboratory,
- How We Would Make Westminster Work (an interview with 9 members of the Commons including a 43 year old Margaret Thatcher)
- Artifacts found in Ireland in a Norse settlement,
- X-raying paintings to see the hidden compositions under the surface,
- Surrealist in the Suburbs (some of Magritte's works are pictured).
of PRINCE CHARLES as Prince of Wales
PRINCE CHARLES wearing purple ermine-trimmed mantle, carrying the rod &
sword and amethyst ring as the Prince Of Wales photo and story
QUEEN ELIZABETH and PRINCE CHARLES photo of The Crowning ceremony
KISS OF FEALTY photo of Prince Charles kissing Queen Elizabeth on the cheek
ROYAL PRESENTATION photo of The Queen presents the Prince to his people with
At The King's Gate photo of The Prince And His People
IAIN HAMILTON story on the Fulton Committee with photos of Ricardo Gonzales
famous tennis player in action
LEONIE GRAYEFF story How To Preserve The Famous in modelling clay
JANICE POWER story British Under Pressure - A War of Nerves in Gibraltar with
DERMOT MORRAH story A King In The Making with photo of Prince of Wales with
Prince Andrew and Prince Edward
LESLIE PINE story The Royal Link With Wales
The Royal Robes photograph of Prince Charles in traditional Royal Dress
Click here for the NEXT year of The Illustrated London News
Click here for the PREVIOUS year of The Illustrated London News
Click here to go to The Year Grid