Events of this year in the Illustrated London News
- Gladstone becomes Prime Minister
- James Garfield is elected 20th United States president
- Royal Albert Docks was opened in London
- George Eliot dies, aged 61
- September - The first test match between England v Australia
at the Oval
- (c) (copyright) 1995 - 2014 All of the text and images on this page are copyrighted
- some of the text and images are copyrighted by a third party and appear here
by their kind permission. Please do not reproduce any text or images without
Some of the content of January to June
- Miss Ellen Terry as Fortia in "The Merchant of Venice" at the
- Mr. Henry Irving as Shylock in the "The Merchant of Venice" at
the Lyceum Theatre,
- Sketches of Gipsy Life Round London,
- The Tay Bridge - Scene of the Terrible Accident on Sunday Evening,
- The Tay Bridge as it Appeared on Monday Dec. 29 at Ten o’clock ,
- Tay Bridge Disaster - View of the Broken Bridge, Tay Bridge Disaster - Boats
Assisting in the Search ,
- The Attempt to Shoot the King of Spain at Madrid,
- Sketches of the Tay Bridge Disaster, Tay Bridge Disaster - Steam Launches
and Divers, Tay Bridge Disaster - Pieces of Wreck Cast up on the Beach,
- HMS Pinafore Played by Children at the Opera Comique ,
- Hippopotamus Hunting in Angola West Africa,
- Venus and Mars at the Louvre Gallery,
- Sketches in Ireland - Harrowing under Difficulties,
- Sketches of the Queen’s Bench Prison,
- A Sportsman of the Landes France,
- Royal Buckhounds - Sketches of the Kennels at Ascot,
- Secokuni’s Town in the Transvaal From the Heights Occupied by the
94 th Regiment,
- Irish Sketches - Turf Market in the South,
- Leycett Colliery
Disaster - Friends of the Miners Waiting, Leycett Colliery Disaster,
the Wind - A Sketch at the Royal Observatory Greenwich,
- On the March From
- Sailing on Skates ,
- Sketches in Ireland at Galway,
- Lichfield Cathedral
- Sketch of the Liverpool Election,
- Opening of the Parliament Movers and Seconders
of the Address in the Two Houses of Parliament,
- The Chancellor of the Exchequer
Speaking in the House of Commons,
- Struggle for Existence from the picture
by G. B. Goddard (wolves),
- State of Ireland - Serving a Process Near Headford
- The Winter in France - the Loire at Saumur,
- The House of Commons -
the Front Opposition Bench ,
- Electioneering at Liverpool,
- Explosion of the
Thunderer Great Gun at Woolwich,
- A Leap Year Valentine,
- Sketches at the Liverpool
- The State of Ireland - Scene Outside the Courthouse Galway,
Exhibition at Melbourne Australia,
- An Irish Obstructionis - A Sketch on the
- Sketches in Galway,
- Burning of the Dublin Theatre ,
Chain Cables Chatham Dockyard ,
- The Chinese in San Francisco,
- The Orient Line
- Attempt on the Czar’s Life (many),
- A Funeral in
the Arctic Regions During the Night of Winter,
- Sketches in Russia - Popular
Life and Manners,
- Arrest of a Suspected Nihilist at St. Petersburg,
of a New Settlement in Minnesota,
- Proposed Method of Reaching the North Pole
- Fishing on the Ristigouche in Canada,
- Sketches of the Crisis
- HMS Nelson Double Screw Ironclad,
- State of Ireland - Distributing
Relief Tickets in the Turf Market Westport County Mayo ,
- Completion of the
St. Gothard Tunnel,
- Emperor of Russia Bowing to the People From the Soltykoff
- A Fisherman’s Cabin in Connemara,
- Completion of the St. Gothard
Tunnel - Arrival of the First Train,
- At the Boat Race,
- Sketches in the St.
- St. Gothard’s Tunnel - Air Compressing Machine,
Boat Race - Some of the People Who Did Not See the Race ,
- A Shipped Cargo,
- Attempt on the Life of Count Loris Melikoff ,
- Russian Sketches - Laplanders
on the Neva St. Petersburg,
- Hunting Sketches Among the Indians of Minnesota,
- State of Ireland - Evicted on the Road in Connemara ,
- The General Election
- A Deputation on the Subject of Woman’s Rights ,
- Preparing for the
Easter Monday Volunteer Review,
- Polish Jews Driving to Market - A Sketch on
the Polish Russian Frontier ,
- Irish Sketches - Going to Church, Election Sketches
- General Election - The Popular Candidate,
- General Election - The Unpopular
- The Easter Volunteer Review,
- Sounding the Reveille,
- The Midlothian
Election - Mr. Gladstone Addressing the Crowd,
- Sketches at the Brighton Theatre
- General Election - Reading the Results,
- Volunteer Review at Brighton
- Invading Force Advancing to the Attack Over Kingston Hill ,
- First Meeting
of the Crown Prince of Austria and Princess Stephanie,
- Middlesex Election
- Sketches at Brentford,
- Sketches in Albania - A Meeting of the Albanian League
- General Election - Lord Hartington at Over Darwen,
- Scotch Election - Polling
at Peebles Procession of Faggot Voters,
- Sketches in the American Far West,
- Massoolah Boats Madras ,
- Sketches at the Regimental Steeplechases at Aldershott,
- Irish Relief Squadrons - Distributing Stores from HMS Valourous ,
- Mr. Gladstone
- Ministerial Crisis - Sketch at the Great Western Railway
- Members of the New House of Commons,
- Presentation of a Life Boat
by the Cadets of the Thames Nautical College ,
- Royal Marriage at Windsor,
- New House of Commons - Members Signing the Roll of Parliament,
- Sketches in
Albania - Street Scene in Scutari,
- Pass of St. Gothards,
- The Right Hon. The
Marquis of Hartington MP (2 page portrait - tinted yellow background),
of Professor Nordenskjold the Swedish Arctic Explorer at Stockholm,
- Election of Representative
Peers for Scotland,
- New Postmaster General Professor Fawcett,
- Members of the
New House of Commons (many),
- Sketches in Albania - A Bear Fancier in the Bazaar
- Welcome Home - Princess of Wales Greeting the Princes (2 page vertical),
- Irish Sketches - Bog Village, Fur Trapper in the Backwoods of Canada,
Barracks at Knightsbridge,
- New Cathedral at Truro - the Architects Design,
- Prince of Wales in Cornwall,
- The New Cathedral at Truro,
- Foundering of the
Union Company’s Mail Steamship American - the Boats Leaving the Ship,
- Romberg’s Toy Symphony Performance at St. James Hall,
- Whitsuntide Holiday
Sketches - Jersey,
- Whitsuntide Holiday - Life on the Ocean Wave ,
- Royal Visit
to Truro - Prince of Wales Laying the Cornerstone of Truro Cathedral,
Vivants From Sir Walter Scotts Novels at Cromwell House S. Kensington ,
- Royal Visit to Truro - Triumphal Arches,
- Royal Visit to
Truro - General View of the Ceremony Laying the Foundation Stone of the New
- Bend Or the Winner of the Derby,
- Earl Cowper KG the New Lord Lieutenant
- Sketches at Trooping the Colours on the Queens Birthday,
Match by Electric Light at the Ranelagh Club,
- Worcester Cathedral ,
Match Between a Dog and a Man ,
- Madame Modjeska as Constance in "Heartsease"
at the Royal Court Theatre,
- Sketches at Ascot ,
- Mdlle Sarah Bernhardt as Gilberte
in "Frou-Frou" at the Gaiety Theatre, etc.
- Engravings from The War
in Afghanistan: An Afghan Sunga or Rifle Pit, Entrance to the Jugdulluk Pass
- Execution of the Kotwal of Cabul,
- Charge of the Punjab Cavalry in the Action
at Shajui ,
- 10 th Bengal Lancers in the Jugdulluk Pass,
- Chunari Pass Through
the Khoord Cabul Range,
- Military Amusements in Afghanistan - Tug of War at
the Camp at Gundamuk ,
- A Block in the Jugdulluk Pass,
- Hospital Dhooliles in
the Jugdulluk Pass,
- Defence of the British Position at Sherpore
- Attack on the Bala Hissar Cabul ,
- Charge of the Cavalry in the Action
of Dec. 11 ,
- Athletic Games at Jellalabad - A Dooley Race ,
- A Sowar of the
10 th Bengal Lancers and a Private of the 9 th Foot,
- Parliamentary Sketches
in the Lobby,
- Henley Regatta,
- Odd Sketches at the Zoological Society’s
- Albanian Sketches - Retribution the End of a Blood Feud ,
of Wales Selling Flowers at the Bazaar for the Kensington Industrial and Training
- Funeral of the Empress of Russia at St. Petersburg ,
- Opening of the Railway to the Top of Mount Vesuvius,
- The War in Afghanistan : An Afghan Sungha, or Rifle Pit.
- The War in Afghanistan : General Gough`s Camp at Gundamuk
The War in Afghanistan : Entrance to the Jugdulluck Pass
The War in Afghanistan : Execution of the Kotwal of Cabul, sketched from the
spot where Lt Hamilton was killed.
Miss Ellen Terry as Portia in The Merchant Of Venice at the Lyceum Theatre.
Mr Henry Irving as Shylock in The Merchant Of Venice at the Lyceum Theatre.
The Late Mr Henry Warren - Hon President of the Intitue of Painters in Water
and a of Sketches of Gipsy Life Round London; as follows:
Tent at Hackney
Tent at Hackney Wick
Near Latimer Road, Notting Hill
A Batchelor`s Bed Room , Mitcham Common.
Encampment at Mitcham Common.
Knife Grinder, Hackney Wick.
Tent at Hackney
The Tay Bridge Disaster - Scene of the terrible accident on Sunday Evening.
View of the Bridge from the North
View of the Bridge from the South
The Tay Bridge as it appeared on Monday 29th December at 10 O`Clock.
The Tay Bridge Disaster; View of the broken bridge from the north end.
Please note that some of the pages appear smudged, or dirty.
Other illustrations as follows.
Portrait: Commandant Cecil D`Arcy V C Frontier Light Horse, Zulu War
Portrait: Lt Col A Harness R A, C B - Co. Artillery, Zulu War
Portrait: The Late Lt W P Ricardo, 9th Lancers. Killed in action at
The Tay Bridge Disaster, boats assisting in the search. Tear to botom
The Attempt to shoot the King of Spain at Madrid.
The War in Afghanistan; Charge of the 2nd Punjab Cavalry at Shahjul.
The Christmas Pantomimes - Whats on Where.
Casket presented to Mr Gladstone on his birthday.
Affairs in Burmah; Thyetmo, the frontier town.
The Tay Bridge Disaster, a montage - Named divers Messrs FOX and HARLEY
amongst other sketches.
The Tay Bridge Disaster, steam launches and divers` barge.
The Tay Bridge Disaster, pieces of wreck cast up on the beach at Broughty
The Tay Bridge Disaster, diving operations in search of the wreck
of the railway train.
- The Afghan War: The 10th Bengal Lancers in the Jugdulluck Pass.
- The Albert Institute of windsor and eton.
H M S Pinafore, played by children at the Opera Comique.
The Afghan War: The Chunari Pass through the Khoord Cabul Range.
Hippopotamus Hunting in Angola, West Africa.
The Months: January, by Montbard.
Venus and Mars at the Louvre Gallery, Paris.
Portrait with Obituary; The Late Mr Hepworth Dixon.
The Holborn Townhall.
People I have met series: The Old Earl.
Sketches in Ireland, harrowing under difficulties, mountain farm in County
Sketches of the Queen`s Bench Prison. 9 images in this montage.
Portrait: Roma 1880, by H I H The Crown Princess of Germany.
- A Sportsman of the Landes, by Frank Dadd.
The Royal Buckhounds, sketches of the Kennels at Ascot.
Sekukuni`s Town. Transvaal, South Africa.
Military Amusement in Afghanistan - Tug of War at Gundamuk, between soldiers
and an elephant.
Irish Sketches: Turf market in the South of Ireland
Portrait and Obituary: The Late Gen Sir John Low.
Portrait and Obituary: The Late Captain Butson, 9th Lancers. Killed at Kabul
Portrait and Obituary: The Late Mr Serjeant Parry.
The Afghan War: A block in the Jugdulluck Pass. : Hospital Dhoolies in the
Jugdulluck Pass. : The Minar Chakri, nr Kabul. : An Afghan Agriculturalist.
: The Old Bridge on the Surkhab, or Red River.
High Quality Double Page Plate of Lichfield Cathedral, by S Read
- The Leycett Colliery Disaster.
2 images of the Leycett Colliery Disaster, near Newcastle-undeer-Lyne.
Measuring the wind, at the Observatory, Greenwich.
Double Page On the march from Moscow, by L J Pott.
Sailing on Skates.
The Steam Ship Kinfauns Castle.
Portrait: The Late Lt Koolemans-Beynes, Dutch Navy.
The Dutch Arctic Expedition, the Schooner Willem Barent sighting Franz Josef
People I Have Met Series: The Old Maid
Sketches in Ireland - At Galway. A montage by Harry Furniss.
Portrait: Her Grace the Duchess of Marlborough.
Sculptured fugure at Nymphi. Near Smyrna.
The Niobe at Mount Sipylus, near Magnesia.
- Sketches at the Liverpool Election.
- The Opening of Parliament - Portraits of The Earl of Onslow, The Earl of
Rosse, Lt Col Home-Drummond Moray, Mr J P Corry.
The Opening of Parliament - The Chancellor of the Exchequer speaking in the
House. From the picture by Mr Wyllie.
The Struggle for existence by G Bouverie Goddard.
The State of Ireland - serving a process near Headford, Galway.
Drill of Volunteer Ambulane Corps at Guildhall.
Adam`s Peak, Ceylon / Sri Lanka.
Liverpool Election Sketches.
The Winter in France - The Loire at Saumur.
The War in Afghanistan: Reconnoitering.
Sketches in Ireland, harrowing under difficulties, mountain farm in County
The House of Commons. The Front Opposition Bench, a late sitting,
- An Irish Obstructionist: A sketch on the road, Connemara. By R Caton Woodville.
- A of Harry Furniss caricatures titled The State of Ireland, Sketches in
- Burning of The Dublin Theatre.
- H M S Bacchante off Fort George, Grenada,
- Testing Chain Cables, Chatham Dockyard: "Slacking Off"
- The Chinese in San Francisco.
- Landscape titled: Pagoda Anchorage, Foochoo, China.
- The Afghan War: Defence of the British Position at Sherpore, Cabul: The
Gatling Gun Bastion on Dec 23rd, preparing to repel the attack of the Ghazis.
Defence of the British Position at Sherpore, Cabul: North End of the Shepore
- The Orient Line Steamer Chimborazo in a gale
- The steam ship Chimborazo, of the Orient Line, for Australia.
- Memorial Cross of Princess Alice at Balmoral
- Electioneering at Liverpool.
- Explosion of the Thunderer`s Great Gun at Woolwich
A Leap Year Valentine
Sketches at the Liverpool Election.
The State Of Ireland: a scene outside the Court House, Galway.
Portrait with Obituary; The Late Sir W Erle
Portrait with Obituary; The Late Mr John Locke QC
Portrait with Obituary; The Late Lt H H Forbes. Killed by Naga People. Khonoma.
Portrait with Obituary; The Late Captain Lawrell. Killed in Zululand.
People I have met series: The Family Solicitor.
The International Exhibition at Melbourne, Australia. A fine view.
portrait: Mr Edward Whitley.
The Afghan War: Conflict with the Zaimukhts at Zawa, near the Kurum Valley.
The State Of Ireland: Evicted, a sketch on the road in Connemara.
- The Attempt On The Czar's Life: The Soltykoff Doorway Of The Winter Palace,
Within Which The Explosion Occured (Front Page - Russia)
- Bird's Eye View Of Defences Of The Sherpore Cantonment, Showing Position
Of The Troops In Garrison (1/3rd Page - Afghanistan, War, Military)
- A Forecastle Yarn ()
- The Afghan War: Attack On The Bala Hissar, Cabul, On The Night Of Dec 11,
1879 ( Panoramic)
- A Funeral In The Arctic Regions During The Night Of Winter ()
- Crosshill And Govanhill Burgh Hall, Near Glasgow (1/4 Page)
- New Buildings Of The City Carlton Club (1/4 Page)
- Tomb Of Nofre Ma, An Egyptian Of The Third Dynasty, At Meidoum (1/3rd Page)
- Sketches In Russia: Popular Life And Manners ()
- The Attempt On The Czar's Life: The Grand Ball-Room, Winter Palace, St Petersburg
- Attendants At The Imperial Dinner Table, St Petersburg ()
- The Winter Palace, St Petersburg ()
- Arrest of a suspected Nihilist at St Petersburg.
Sketches of a new settlement in Minnesota.
Proposed method of reaching the North pole by Balloons.
Fishing on the Ristigouche, in Canada: Image of a lady fishing with 2 gentlemen
in a canoe.
Fishing on the Ristigouche, in Canada: 3 canoes on the bank.
Waiting for orders.
The state of Ireland: Going to business, a sketch at Westport, Mayo. By Caton
The Afghan War: The Shor Bazaar, Cabul (Kabul). Looted by the enemy.
The Afghan War: A sketch in Gen. Sir F Roberts HQ, Sherpore cantonments.
Portrait: With brief biography of The Late Brigadier General J A Tytler VC,
Sketches of the Crisis in Russia: Prisoners at a Railway Station.
Sketches of the Crisis in Russia: Police espionage in St Petersburg.
A fine print of HMS Nelson, Double screw, Ironclad.
Exhibition of the City of London Society of Artists, Skinners Hall, Cannon
Unveiling the Statue of Lord Gough in Phoenix Park, Dublin.
Supplementary plate of The State of Ireland: Distributing relief tickets in
the Turf Market, Westport, Mayo. By Caton Woodville.
- Meeting of Workmen at the Completion of the St Gothard Tunnel. From Airolo
The Emperor of Russia bowing to the people from the Soltykoff balcony.
People I Have Met Series: The Rich Widow.
The Months: March - By Montbard
Irish Sketches, a fisherman`s cabin in Connemara.
Portrait and Obituary - The Late Major John Cook VC.
The New building of the Art Union of London.
Article General Count Loris Melikoff, The New Russian Dictator with portrait.
Completion of the St Gothard Tunnel, arrival of the first train at Airolo,
exiting the tunnel.
The Afghan War: Charge of the Cavalry in the action of Dec 11th.
- At The Boat Race
The St Gothard Tunnel: 7 sketches in this monatge. - Air-compresing at Airolo.
The Boat Race - Some who did not see the race. An Amusing Montage.
A Shifting Cargo - Good maritime plate.
The Very Rev, J C Ryle, Dean of Salisbury.
The Very Rev, A Purey Cust, Dean of York.
Attempt on the Life of Count Loris Melikoff, from a sketch by H Cederstrom,
St Petersburg. Article on next page.
Russian Sketches: Laplanders on the Neva, St Petersburg.
Hunting Sketches among the Indians of Minnesota.
Portrait and Obituary - The Late Lt C J R Hearsey. - The Late Mr Charles Branwhite,
Artists. - The Late Lt E Hardy.
Afghans at their Namaz.
- The University Boat Race.
2 portraits of The Late Lady Charlotte Bacon (Byron`s Ianthe) 1) Aged 16yrs.
2) Aged 79yrs
Scene of the Assassination of Colonel Koumerow, near Pera.
Ancient Yew in Buckland Churchyard, Kent.
The Grave of Mr Keith Johnston, at Beho Beho, East Central Africa.
Village of Beho Beho.
The General Election - A Deputation on the Subject of Woman`s Rights.
Illustrated Article Election Sketches: 7 caricatures.
Preparing for the Easter Monday Volunteer Review.
Portrait and Obituary - The Late Mr Henry O`Neil ARA
Polish Jews driving to Market, on the Polish Russian frotier.
Irish Sketches, going to Church.
Front Page Illustration, marked. The General Election: Canvassing
2 Pages Election Sketches: Includes 4 very good caricatures of English types.
The General Election: The Popular Candidate.
The General Election: The Unpopular Candidate.
Montbards - The Months: April
Election Sketches: 4 very good caricatures.
The Easter Volunteer Review: Arrival of the Volunteers at Brighton
The Easter Volunteer Review: The First Gun.
The Easter Volunteer Review: Sounding the Reveille
The Easter Volunteer Review: The Artists Corps.
- The General Election: Lort Hartington At Over Darwen, North East Lancashire
- The Scotch Elections: Rolling At Peebles ( - Scotland, Politics)
- Russian Sketches ( - Russia)
- "Passage Boat On The Scheldt" By C Stanfield ( - Art)
- "Henry VIII And Anne Boleyn" By G F Folingsby ()
- Sketches In The American Far West ()
- New Arcade, Old Bond Street, Exterior (1/4 Page)
- New Arcade, Old Bond Street (1/4 Page)
- Manley Hall, The New Public Park For Manchester ()
- Irish Sketches: An Itinerant Orator: A Sketch Near Killarney (
- Arrival Of Colonel Synge At Salonica After His Release By The Brigades ( - Turkey)
- Massoolah Boats, Madras ( - India)
- Removal of Another Obelisk From Alexandria, For Transport To New York ( - Egypt)
- Land Reclaiming Works At Brading Haven, Isle Of Wight ( - Hampshire)
A 15 page issue, price fivepence.
It features articles with prints from engravings including :
- (front) Sketches at the Regimental Steeplechases at Aldershott
- -The missing training ship Atalanta Missing
- -Russian sketches : A Moujik's courtship
- -Irish relief squadron, Under the Duke of Edinburgh Distributing
stores from HMS Valorous at Kilkerran
- -Our troops in Afghanistan : Athletic games at Jellalabad -
a Dooley race
- a page devoted to the church for the deaf and dumb including 3 engravings
- St Saviours church Oxford , A statue of our saviour by a deaf and dumb artist
, City of Oxford High school for boys
- devoted to 'People I Have met' with article and two engravings
concerning Mr Benoni Crabbe - also nicknamed Lobster by Lord Spankington
- 7 page supplement entitled: 'The Gladstone Supplement,
This contains much text and description along with a portrait and
2 scenes at Hawarden Castle and Hawarden
Lodge, Hawarden Castle viewed from the Garden (almost ),
Sunday morning portrait at Hawarden, Mr Gladstone reading the lesson
at Hawarden Church, Hawarden Castle
seen from the park, a view of Hawarden church and, a sketch
in the village street at Hawarden
- Also articles (no engravings) including The Royal visit to the Aldershott
- The Comet in the southern Hemisphere`
- HMS Atalanta
- A Moujik's courtship
- Music : Royal Italian Opera
- The Church
- High school at Oxford
- National sports
- Proposals to form an international park at the falls of Niagara
- The Ministerial Crisis. A sketch at the Great Western Railway Station,
The Swedish Arctic Expedition. Professor Nordenskjold. The Ship VEGA among
Members of the new House of Commons. Portraits with brief descriptive
passage of the following: MR A W Dilke, (Newcastle upon Tyne). Mr H S Northcote,
Exeter). Viscount Lymington,(Barnstaple). Mr W Fowler, (Cambridge). Sir R
W Garden (Barnstaple). Mr T Robinson (Gloucetser). Sit H M Jackson, (Coventry).
Mr W Agnew, (S E Lancashire). Mr J K Cross, (Bolton).
Presentation of a Life Boat by the Cadets of the Thames Nautical
College, Worcester. " Three Cheers for the Life Boat".
Sketches from "The Pirates of Penzance", at the Opera
Portrait with article: Hubert Herkomer, ARA
Portrait with article: Mr G H Boughton ARA
Article with portraits of The Royal Marriage at Windsor, Princess
Frederica of Hanover and Baron von Pawel-Rammingen.
The Royal Marriage at Windsor
The United States Frigate "Constellation" with relief
stores for the Irish distress off Haulbowline, in Cork Harbour.
Small full size portrait of Dolores Rodriguez, a Peruvian Vivanderie.
Extra Supplement, a fine quality portrait of: The Rt Hon Earl
Granville KG, Secretary of Foreign Affairs
- The New House Of Commons, Members signing the Roll of Parlaiment.
- Russian Sketches, teaching Cossacks to ride.
- The Agricultural Museum Berlin.
- 9 Portraits of New Members of the House of Commons.
- The Month; May by Montbard.
- Sketches in Albania, a street in Scutari, by R Caton Woodville.
- The Pass of St Gothard, from Turner`s "Liber Studiorum"
- The Duke of Edinburgh receiving the Commander of the US Frigate "Constellation"
- An incident during the search for HMS Atalanta
- Reception of Professor Nordenskjold, Swedish Arctic Explorer, at Stockholm.
- Sketches of the Election of Representative Peers for Scotland, at Holyrood
- Sketches of Howard`s Patent Plough, Croskill`s Pig Trough, Barrett and Exhall`s
Steam Engine and 2 diagrams of
- Westrup`s Patent Conical Flour Mill.
- Sepia portrait of, The Rt hon The Marquis of Hartington M.P.
The New Postmaster General, Professor Fawcett. MP
Members of the New House of Commons. Portraits and brief biography of: Mr R
Creyke. Mr W L Jackson. Mr J Passmore Edwards. Mr H Lee. Mr R T Middleton. Mr
W E Briggs. Mr P S Macliver. Mr Hugh Shield. Mr R B Mackie.
Sketches in albania: A bear fancier in the Bazaa, Scutari. By Caton
"Welcome Home" by F Dadd.
Irish Sketches, Bog Village, County Roscommon.
Irish Sketches, Ballintuber Castle, County Roscommon.
New Masonic Hall, Koolangsu, Amoy
Church of St Michael and All Angels, Bedford Park, Chiswick.
Pepole I have Met Series. No VI The Governess.
Fur Trappers in the backwoods of Canada. A montage of 3 sketches.
The New Cavalry Barracks at Knightsbridge.
The Officers Quarters, New Barracks at Knightsbridge.
Odd Sketches at the Zoological Society`s Gardens, London: Pachydermatous
or Thick Skinned Animals #1
Large Fold Out: The New Cabinet. By F Dadd. Personnel are named - Lord Northbrook,
Mr Dodson, Sir WV Harcourt, Marquis of Hartington, Duke of Argyll, Earl Spencer,
Lord Selborne, Mr Chamberlain, Mr Childers, Mr Gladstone, Mr Bright, Earl Granville,
- The Royal visit to Truro.
- 9 Portraits of Members of the New Housae Of Commons.
9 Portraits of Members of the New Housae Of Commons.
2 s Tableaux Vivants from Sir Walter Scott`s Novels, at Cromwell House.
2 s Wagtails by Giacomelli.
The Royal Visit to Truro.
The Royal Visit to Truro.
The Royal Visit to Truro.
The Union Company`s new steam ship TROJAN.
- Henley Regatta: Sketches on the River.
St Peters Church, Liverpool, The Cathedral of the new Diocese.
The Duke and Duchess of Connaught at the Royal Albert Orphan Asylum, Bagshot,
Surrey. With inset of Collingwood Court)
Members of the New House of Commons. Portraits and brief biography of: J C
Lawrence, Sth Lincs. H D Labouchere, Northampton. M C Buszard, Stamford. J
W Foley, New Ross. R D Lyons, Dublin. Rev Dr Kinnear, Donegal. T Sexton, Sligo.
L P Dawnay, Thirsk. H Villiers Stuart, Waterford.
Montbard`s Months - JUNE
Divisions of Labour by Frank Dadd.
Two sketches - In The Lobby "Cold Water" and "Hot Water"
The Albanian Question: Tusi, offered in exchange for Gusinje.
Portrait: Mohammed Suleiman Khalifat, Sultan of Koetei, Borneo.
Portrait: M Carl Bock, Traveller of the Dutch Expedition in Borneo.
Swymbridge Church, North Devon.
The New Grand Hotel, Charing Cross, London.
Odd Sketches at the Zoological Society`s Gardens, London: Pachydermatous or
Thick Skinned Animals #1
London: Pachydermatous or Thick Skinned Animals #2
: The Cat Family
: The Monkeys
The Albanian Question: Retribution - The end of a blood feud. By Caton Woodville.
July to December
- Members of the New House of Commons ,
- Arrest of Mr. Bradlaugh in the House of Commons ,
- Opening of Wandsworth Putney and Hammersmith Bridges,
- Opening of a New Highland Railway - Views on the Line Between Callander
and Oban ,
- Sunday Schools at Lambeth Palace - Presenting a Bible to the Daughters of
the Prince of Wales,
- Jubilee of Belgian Independence - King Leopold Opening the Exhibition at
- Suppression of the Jesuits in Paris - Leaving the Chapel in the Rue de Sevres
- Centenary Festival of Sunday Schools - Great Gathering of Sunday School
Children at Lambeth Palace ,
- Royal Agricultural Society at Carlisle,
- Jannina Capital of Epirus One of the Places Ceded to Greece by the Berlin
- Sketches at the Eton and Harrow Cricket Match ,
- Carlisle Cathedral ,
- Sketches on the Albanian Frontier,
- The Albanian Question - The Montenegrin Minister of War at Podgoritza,
- The Mower,
- Launch of the Emperor of Russia’s Yacht Livadia at Glasgow,
- The New Greek Frontier (half page map),
- The Prince of Wales Heading the Household Brigade at the Review Before the
Queen in Windsor Great Park,
- Champion Lawn Tennis Match - Mr. Hartley Winning the Cup for the Second
- Sketches at the National Rifle Association Meeting and Camp on Wimbledon
- Grand Review Before the Queen in Windsor Park - Charge of the 5th and 7th
Dragoon Guards ,
- French National Republican Fete of July 14 Presentation of Flags,
- Lawn Tennis ,
- Norwegian Viking Ship Discovered Near Sandeford Norway ,
- Princess of Wales Presenting Prizes at Wimbledon Rifle Meeting,
- Kensington House,
- Blenheim August 13 1794 - from the picture by G. Woodville ,
- Jubilee Festival of Belgian National Independence - Inauguration of the
- Lincoln Cathedral ,
- The Right Hon. W. E. Forster Chief Secretary for Ireland (portrait),
- Stock Gill Force Near Ambleside Windermere,
- The Empress Eugenie at St. Helena,
- The Marquis of Ripon Viceroy of India (portrait),
- New Greek Frontier - Rocks and Convents of Meteora Thessaly ,
- Nero a German Corder Coated Poodle at the Berlin International Dog Show
- Duplex Catamaran ,
- Greek Frontier Question - Castle of Suli in Epirus,
- Opening of the New Spa Buildings at Scarborough by the Lord Mayor of London,
- Hampstead Heath at Holiday Time ,
- Sinking Despatches - from the picture by W. H. Overend ,
- Grouse Shooting,
- Experimental Naval Attack on Harbour and Fort Defences at Portsmouth ,
- The Two Recent Fatal Railway Disasters ,
- Yachting Sketches ,
- Cologne Cathedral Recently Finished After Six Centuries,
- The New Pier at Bournemouth,
- St. Benedict’s College and Monastery Fort Augustus Caledonian Canal,
- Irish Home Rule Riots at Glasgow,
- Illustrations of the Eastern Question - the Proposed New Greek Frontier,
- The British Association at Swansea (2 page view of the city),
- Tea and Music in the Park at Rotterdam,
- Jubilee Festival of Belgian Independence at Brussels,
- Chamois Hunting in the Tyrol,
- Sketches in the Disturbed Country of Ireland,
- Waiting for the Excursion Train ,
- Wives of Boulogne Fishermen Waiting for Their Husbands Boats ,
- Ned Kelly ,
- Night Attack on the Glenrbowan Hotel ,
- Royal Engineers at Runnmede - Pontoon Bridge Over the Thames,
- Chiefs of the Miridites on the Montenegrin Frontier,
- Irish Constabulary,
- Music and Refreshments - the Band in Regents Park on Sunday Evenings ,
- The Result of a Luffing Match (2 page - ships),
- Colliery Disaster at Seaham - Explorers Descending the Pit to Rescue the
- Cattaro on the Adriatic Coast/Grayosa on the Adriatic Coast,
- Supplying Supplies for Montenegrin Troops at Podgoritza,
- The Australian Cricketers at Kennington Oval ,
- Islands in the South Indian Ocean Visited by HMS Comus in Search of Shipwrecked
- Old Leadenhall Market,
- Colliery Disaster at Seaham Near Sunderland ,
- Motherless - Easedale Tarn Westmorland - from the picture by Basil Bradley
- A Young Ladies School of Cookery,
- The Plot to Blow Up a London and Northwestern Railway Train,
- Goats Exhibited at the Alexandra Palace Goat Show ,
- A Montenegrin Wedding ,
- The Naval Demonstration Against Turkey - the International Squadrons in
the Bay at Gravosa,
- Up the River , Collett’s System of Elevated Railways ,
- A Yachting Cruise - Becalmed ,
- The Disastrous Landslip in India,
- Demonstration on the Adriatic Coast - Albanians From Scutari Crossing the
Boyana to Occupy Dulcigno,
- The European Naval Demonstration on the Adriatic Coast,
- Camping Out in Montenegro,
- The Birth of a Spanish Infanta - Preparing for the Event in the Royal Palace
- Sketches in Scotland - Arrival of the Coach at the Fete Arms Braemar,
- Sketches in Scotland - Castleton of Braemar From Morrone ,
- The Country Round Dulcigno (half page map),
- Disastrous Landslip in India - Naini Tal General View From Near Buttress
- English Special Correspondents Going to the Montengrin Camp,
- Signal Fires in the Mountains of Montenegro ,
- Dulcigno With Emcampment of Turkish Regulars/Dulcigno From the North,
- The Prince of Wales at a Deer Drive in the Forest of Mar,
- A Race to the Market - Tahiti Society Islands,
- Antivari ,
- Interview Between Sir Owen Lanyon and Native Chiefs of Zoutpansberg Transvaal
- Roman Villa Discovered Near Brading in the Isle of Wight ,
- The Murder of Lord Mountmorres ,
- Sketches in Braemar,
- Flooded Out, Mountain Defences in Albania - Miridites and Albanians Building
- West Door of Cologne Cathedral,
- The Song of the Whip-poor-Will,
- A Deer Drive in Mar Forest - Waiting for the Deer,
- A Torchlight Dance at Mar Lodge,
- Cologne Cathedral ,
- The Deer Drive at Invercauld,
- The Floods in the Fen Country,
- Autumn Leaves are Falling,
- Prince of Wales in the Highlands - Lunch in the Forest ,
- The American Presidential Election - a Sketch at Washington,
- Falls of the Glassalt,
- The Queen at Loch Collater ,
- Sketches Around Balmoral,
- The Floods in the Fen Country - Views Around Crowland ,
- The Temple Bar Memorial,
- Comparisons are Odious (big dog and little dog),
- International Balloon Race From the Crystal Palace,
- The Landslip at Naini Tal After the Fall ,
- Dangers of the Deep - Cutting Sway the Masts in a Storm, Sketches in the
Colorado Mining Districts North America, The Laurium Silver Mine in Greece
, Sketches in Braemar - Salmon Spearing on the Dee, The Late Storms and Wrecks
at Scarborough and Plymouth , The Royal Observatory at Greenwich - Measuring
the Sunshine, Life Boat Service on the Lincolnshire Coast - Throwing the Hand
Rocket, General J. A. Garfield the President Elect of the United States (portrait),
Recent Storms - Wreck of a Barque at Balitham Near Plymouth, "Dot"
at the Folly Theatre - Mr. J. L. Toole as Caleb Plummer, Greek Antiquities
of Asia Minor, The Chrysanthemum Show in the Temple Gardens, Illustrations
of the Dulcino Question - Montenegrin Outpost, Sketches of Montenegro by the
Times Correspondent, The Dulcino Question - Headquarters of Bozo Petrovics,
The Condition of Turkeys (2 page vertical), The Ritualist Prosecutions - The
Rev. T. Pelham Dale in Holloway Prison, The Irish Land League - Farming Under
Difficulties in County Mayo, Sketches of the Peasantry in Mayo, The State
of Ireland - Women Carrying Home Meal Sacks From the Relief Committee, Blacksmiths
Forge in the Turkish Camp Near Dulcino, Odd Sketches at the Zoological Societys
Gardens, Sculling Match for the Championship on the Thames Last Monday, Conspiracy
in Russia - a Nihilist Meeting Surprised, The Piraeus and Port of Athens,
Peterborough Cathedral , The Pigmies in Piccadilly - Lucia Zarate and General
Mite With the Exhibitor, Duke of Edinburgh Inspecting Naval Volunteers at
Tynemouth, The Late Right Hon. Sir Alexander Bart Lord Chief Justice of England,
Cutting Up a Shark at Port Louis Mauritius , Steeplechase Sketches, The World’s
Regatta on the Thames Last Saturday, Effects of the Earthquakes at Agram the
Capital of Croatia , The Prince of Wales in Norfolk, The Irish Land League
Agitation, Sketches of Peasantry and Tenant Farmers, Arctic Explorations by
Mr. Leigh Smiths Yacht, A Private Shave in County Galway, A Public Wash at
Dulcigno, The Basuto War in South Africa , Valley of St. Ann and River Melas
With the First Aqueduct Near Smyrna, New Zealand Sketches - the Maori Parliament
at Orakei, Imperial Progress in Japan, The War in Basutoland South Africa,
Night Work at Greenwich Observatory - the Great Equatorial Telescope, Celebration
of the Centenary of the Emperor Joseph II in Vienna, Christmas Cattle Show
Sketches , Sketches in Colorado, The War in Basutoland - The Attack of Colonial
Troops on Lerothodi’s Stronghold , The Roast Beef of Old England - A
Sketch at the Cattle Show, The Irish Land League Agitation, The Colliery Explosion
in Glamorganshire, Sketches of St. Andrews, A Happy Christmas in the Country,
Buying a Christmas Tree at Mentone,
WAR IN AFGHANISTAN: At Bay, City of Candahar City of Candahar (map half
page), Valley of the Helmund, Citadel of Candahar, Battery of Horse Artillery
and Detachment of the 66 Regiment , Valley of the Helmund From Three
Miles South of the Abaza Position, Candahar With the British Cantonments, Guns
Crossing the Khojak Pass on the Road to Candahar, Map of the Country Round Candahar
, Interior of the Citadel Candahar, Khush-I-Nakhud the Scene of the Battle
of General Khan and General Burrows/Castle of Ghirsk, Central Dome or Char-su
Where Four Chief Streets in the City of Candahar, The Helmund to Kandahar (map-
half page), Sketches by Major General Sir M. A. Biddulph, Plains of Kadani View
Towards Candahar, Old Palace Inside the Citadel Candahar , Tomb of Ahmed
Shah Adjoining the Citadel Candahar , British Camp at Pezwan, Afghan Prisoners,
Our Troops Leaving Afghanistan - Floating Sick and Wounded Down the Cabul River
From Jellabad , Afghan War Dance int eh Camp Near Dulcigno During the
Feast of the Ramazan, An Incident in the March of Our Troops From Afghanistan,
Scene of the Defeat of Ayoub Khan by General Sir F. Roberts at Baba Wall Near
Candahar, Battlefield of Maiwand and Graves of Major Blackwood and Men of the
66 th Regiment, Wounded Soldiers at the Allahabad Railway Station, Troop Ships
Waiting to Bring Home Troops from the Afghan War , Hostages of War (2
page - boat), Soldiers Church - a Recent Sketch in Afghanistan on Sunday Morning,
The Phases of Life - In Full Bloom, The Phases of Life - Gone to Seed, An English
Christmas as Depicted by a Japanese Artist, Irish Sketches, Dublin Sketches,
Sketches in Parnells County Wicklow, etc. etc.
COLOUR: "The Border Country" - 5 small views - Nidpath Castle, Norham
Castle, Jedburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey & Kelso Abbey. "Waiting for the
Laird" - 2 page of 4 dogs , . From the Christmas Number : "The Fancy
Dress Ball - Julia to Her Bosom Friend Isabel" , "Roses and Lilies"
(3 children), "First Steps" (mother and child). "The Evening
Party - Julia to Her Bosom Friend Isabel".
Special Supplement - The Prince of Wales in the Highlands - many engravings
of a hunting trip to Scotland, including several 2-page ones.
- Ned Kelly.
- a double-page pull-out with plain back of the 'Luffing Match',
- the British Associations visit to Swansea,
- Amsterdam island in the South Indian Ocean
- the ongoing Afhan War
- Afghan war and Albanian mountain defences
- Large illustration of Cologne Cathedral (pull-out with blank
- Supplement on the Prince of Wales' visit to the Highlands.
October 23rd and October 30th price sixpence.
- they features articles with prints from engravings including
- 'Prince of Wales in the Highlands: The Deer Drive at Invercauld'
(front page), 'Autumn Leaves are Falling' (),
- 'Prince of Wales in Highlands: Luncheon in the Forest' (),
- 'Fort Alessandria a Montenegrian Stronghold at The Mouth
of the Rjek',
- 'Lt. RG. Scott VC of The Cape Mounted Rifles,
- The Late Major Vandeleur 7th Royal Fusiliers killed at Candahar',
- 'Falls of the Glassalt' (),
- 'The Queen at Loch Callater' (),
- 'The Afghan War: Battle field of Maiwand, and Grave of
Major Blackwood and men of the 66th Regiment. from a sketch
by Captain Slade',
- 'Comparisons are Odious (an engraving of two dogs after
a painting by Edwin Landseer)' (),
- 'Lt. Colonel Arthur Shewell and Lt. Frank Whittuck who died at Candahar',
- 'Opening of New Loch and water Channel at Sunderland Docks
by the Earl of Durham',
- 'Pony Express Rocky Mountains', 'Postman of the Rocky Mountains',
- 'Village Club, Clapham Bedfordshire',
- 'Ipswich New Corn Exchange',
- an illustrated article about the Great Balloon Race between Great Britain
- Also articles (no engravings) including 'Births Marriages and Deaths', 'Autumn
Leaves are falling', 'Home News', 'Parisian Sayings and Doings', 'The Playhouses',
'The Court', 'The Recess', 'The Late Wars in South Africa',
'Music', 'National Sports', 'The Montenegrin Frontier Question', 'Fine Art',
'The Queen in The Highlands', 'Foreign and Colonial News', 'Battlefields
of Afghanistan', 'Mushrooms',
- 'Obituary including Lord James Sinclair, - Alfred Henry Thesiger, General
John Kynaston Luard, - Major General Edward William De Lancy Lowe,
- adverts of the day
- It measures 400x275mm (16x10.75").
December 25th .
There are 12 s each measuring approx 390x280mm ( 16x11")
- Soldiers Church a recent sketch in Afghanistan
- Two phases of life by Barnard , Caught by C J Staniland,
- Irish sketches, Lough Mask and Captain Boycott -
- Dublin Sketches, The Manor House by S Read,
- Sketches in Parnell's country - Wicklow
Click here for the NEXT year of The Illustrated
Click here for the PREVIOUS year of The Illustrated London News
Click here to go to The Year Grid